Time for a Toontrack DAW!

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Will
    Participant

Ooo, another cool idea:

When creating (or initially configuring) a track you could select not just an instrument, but also a genre so that the channel strip would get pre-loaded with the controls most relevant (and perhaps some of those same hidden special sauce settings like in EZMix). You can imagine all sort of combinations. 60’s Guitar gets you EQ’s modeled on old British boards with a fuzz and maybe a phasor and a tape echo. 70’s Guitar gets you different EQ’s, some simple chorus, analog echo, and flange. 80’s Guitar gives you LA board EQ’s, huge choruses, and multi-delays. And so on, for not just guitar but for all the other types of tracks. This is kind of like an EZStrip concept, I guess.

Sure other DAW’s like Logic have channel strip presets, but once you load them, all the settings are still hidden/lost in all the effects that were loaded. Using them in the context of the EZStrip idea make it more powerful while retaining the its simplicity.

Whitten
    Participant

What we don’t need is another DAW (in my humble opinion).
    There seriously isn’t enough varied choice out there for you – with Harrison Mixbus, Pro Tools, Reaper, Ableton Live, Logic and Reason all being wildly different?

Will
    Participant

Oh, I totally agree that we don’t need another DAW *like those ones*. But I would argue that the *user experiences* of the DAW’s you mentioned are actually very similar: several “integrated” panels of distracting knobs/buttons/sliders/menus/icons all performing separate functions of dubious immediate value, too many options (which leads to decision paralysis), so many mental models of different tasks that unless you use it several hours a day for multiple weeks you are often asking yourself, “Wait, how do I do this again?” All these aspects make the current DAW’s hard to use as creative tools. Toontrack knows this. Check out their track record of innovation:

EZDrummer (plenty of other drum sample packages around at the time, but none were as easy to use or as smart under the covers)

EZMix (hundreds of plugins available of the same processors, but none that combined them into such an easy yet usably good-sounding package)

EZKeys (again, plenty of piano instruments out there at the time, but none that were quite as easy or had anything like the integrated chord sequence feature)

From the past evidence, Toontrack seems rather interested in innovating in crowded markets and seems to like to disrupt the status quo with products that make bold optimizations of the user experience. The DAW market seems like a natural candidate for Toontrack to disrupt with something bold. And I for one, would welcome our new EZDaw overlords.

Nathan
    Participant

ORIGINAL: wrees

Oh, I totally agree that we don’t need another DAW *like those ones*. But I would argue that the *user experiences* of the DAW’s you mentioned are actually very similar: several “integrated” panels of distracting knobs/buttons/sliders/menus/icons all performing separate functions of dubious immediate value, too many options …

Heh, if you want simple, there’s garageband, but once you grow out of that, look at REAPER, it won’t cost you to look, and once the immediate needs have been met, find what else it can do.

I wouldn’t be happy with anything like this that didn’t perform more than my immediate needs

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Whitten
    Participant

Yeah, I think there is already something for everyone.
    I used to use Logic – which is very easy to use in an intuitive, default manner, which is what you are requesting.
    Now I’m using Ableton Live, which is nothing if not COMPLETELY different to Logic.
    I’ve regularly used Pro Tools, Logic and Live, and can’t say I agree that all three offer the same user experience.

Bob Muso
    Participant

@wrees said:

EZKeys-like chord sequence “track” at the top could be used for all sorts of cool automated features. It could be cool to have the chords automatically line up with (or just snap to) and become associated with the automatically sliced-up audio events as discussed in the third point above.

Thanks, a DAW with a Chord Track like EZKeys that can sync prerecorded (user or community based) instrument tracks recorded in different keys & tempos to the chord track. So the user opens the Chord template and records their instrument to a midi beat & rhythm template Sw or Ev.
    The track wav and Chord Template is uploaded to a User Database. It is downloaded by another user they select that instrument track, select whole DAW track or Bars where the Instrument is sliced and stretch to flt chords and tempo. You can use EZD2 for you Drum Track.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.