Request: Toontrack Rooms and Spaces for Nebula

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Juicy
    Participant

Old Idea mate.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

oh. i didn’t know.

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Juicy
    Participant

I mean we have all discussed this “crazy idea for a few years and TT have let us know the “cool” studios are not all that keen to give their sound away too cheaply if at all.
    Altiverb and other Impulse makers have a great selection of “rooms” and you can always make your drums all dry from SD2 and do exactly what you requested using that method it works quite well.

wagzisnotadrummer
    Participant

I guess I’ll have to look into Altiverb and some of these Impulse makers that are out there. I see that several studios allowed the Audioese/Altiverb guys to create impulses of their rooms. I’d prefer to use Nebula, though, since I already own it. Good idea about using dry drums sounds and making a virtual room.

http://soundcloud.com/blackdaddywarbuxxx

Whitten
    Participant

Juicy is right.
    The major issue is great sounding studios struggling for income in the new economy, realising that their rooms are their best asset, and most of them not allowing sampling of the room.
    I happen to know at least one major studio that isn’t happy to even allow drum sampling any more.
    We’ve discussed this numerous times.

Nathan
    Participant

I was going to say, Chris, that sampling short percussion in a studio live room is virtually tantamount to collecting an impulse.

Technology is not too far away so that looking at common and differning elements in source sounds and then analysing the resultant room sounds will allow extraction of a theoretical room impulse.

I’m surprised that no-one with some serious skills in maths and acoustics hasn’t already applied some heavy statistical number-crunching to sets of impure responses to filter out the pure impulse response.

Now where’s that patent application form…

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Juicy
    Participant

Yes that was part of the original discussion too.
    A single starters pistol is able to generate a impulse response,from what i understand why not a snare or other.
    The choice of mic for a specific drum and the chosen distance for a mic channel may not always represent a whole un coloured picture of the room but it is still in “that room.I am sure the lads have checked into all this by now .

I think putting Ambience on the drums after doesn’t quite sound the same,close but not exactly the same, it does open up the ability to put other instruments in that same room. I have done this a few times,I have an Impulse of Hansa and Sarm studios in my Impulse Reverb AU.
    Perhaps it’s the famous studios who would be undermining the rates they charge if to participate, and loss of potential business,which is arguable but i am sure some don’t mind.

Nathan
    Participant

The room is only part of their services, but it’s probably the bit that costs them the most!

The snare is the best at producing a wide-range of frequencies and some are minimal on their own head ring/decay. Starter pistol is a very short noise with immediate decay, which get’s it close to the balanced wide-band noise of the theoretical infinitely short impulse.

I’ve used two short pieces of flat timber (2×3 or 6×4, about a foot long), they’re loud enough when smacked together to need to wear ear protection, and if you hold them right, you get no ring from the wood.

What do you use for making reverb from impulses Juicy? I used to use SIR, but it was a bit unstable (or my workstation was) Looked at SIR2, but I’m well out of the loop these days. I’ve used some other people’s stuff on Logic and PT, but I only use algorithm reverbs at home on REAPER.

>

SD2.3, NYII, C&V, MC, MF, ED, Latin Perc, Twisted, Pop, N1H, Electronic, Classic, Funkmasters, Rock Solid, Blues, Indie-Folk.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.