Pro tools routing

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • John Rodriguez
    Participant

Hi brother you need to make aux tracks stereo and then assign it to sd3 kick channel 3-4 snare the same by going to the sends on protools and select the sd3 aux then on sd3 you select kick or anything that says kick sometimes is more then 1 channel and route it to the same channel on PT. Best luck

Johnerodz

Al Cofre
    Participant

I see that, but I don’t want stereo buses for kick and snare, I ended up sending stereo then recording on mono like 2L

John

Hi,

if you are not using the SD3 mixer, why not use the internal Bounce feature of SD3 and get those files as they were recorded, per microphone as separate audio files?

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

scottfreems
    Participant

Hi,

if you are not using the SD3 mixer, why not use the internal Bounce feature of SD3 and get those files as they were recorded, per microphone as separate audio files?

BR,
    John

Hello,

That’s because we would like to be able to manipulate the individual velocities in midi within Pro Tools while simultaneously being able to alter their gain and other properties via *our* DAWs. I would much rather use PT’s mixer/effects than Toontrack’s at this point. Wouldn’t you?

Respectfully,

Scott

scottfreems
    Participant

The mixer in SD3 appeals to younger, less tech-savvy users, but Toontrack’s already got that market covered with the EZ line. Superior Drummer 3 should be gear toward professionals. They should know not to let an inferior mixer get in the way of our powerful DAWs.

Here’s what I’m trying to do which is such a nightmare:

Take pristine recordings (which were unfortunately snapped to grid by the original engineer) of Kick, Snare, Hat, Ride, RT, FT which I have loaded into SD3 tracker and assigned to a custom drum kit, assigned to individual channels within Pro Tools (or any other DAW) where I can use PT effects (unadulterated by the SD3 mixer), and now I’m trying to figure our how to be able to manipulate the midi velocities and sway the midi nodes out of lock without bouncing them to audio.

I shouldn’t have to bounce them to audio. This should be an easy functionality which is easy to do.

This is a professional use. Why is it so difficult to do? There are no instructions so much as to even how to separate the individual drum pieces into individual tracks in your DAW. This is a fundamental need which should be lucidly described in detail in the instructions (for those who do not already know).

Toontrack: IMHO, leave the mixers to the EZ line and gear SD3 completely toward high-powered users (i.e., integrate with our high-end DAWs and effects — don’t try to compete because you can’t win… they’re light years ahead).

John

Hi,

if I read your post correctly, you simply want to see how a MultiOut-template for Pro Tools would look like?

If so, please see the attached example where I have routed all microphones to Instrument Tracks in Pro Tools. The reason why I routed to Instrument Tracks instead of Aux Tracks is because then you can separate the MIDI for your drums as well. Not that the Amb mics have separate MIDI hits, but you get the idea. If you do not wish to have separate Instrument Tracks, you just perform the same operation but with Aux Tracks instead.
    SD3-MultiOutExample.ptx_

I hope it helps,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Thanked by: scottfreems
    scottfreems
    Participant

Hi,

if I read your post correctly, you simply want to see how a MultiOut-template for Pro Tools would look like?

If so, please see the attached example where I have routed all microphones to Instrument Tracks in Pro Tools. The reason why I routed to Instrument Tracks instead of Aux Tracks is because then you can separate the MIDI for your drums as well. Not that the Amb mics have separate MIDI hits, but you get the idea. If you do not wish to have separate Instrument Tracks, you just perform the same operation but with Aux Tracks instead.
    SD3-MultiOutExample.ptx_

I hope it helps,
    John

Thank you very much.

• This post was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by scottfreems.

Thanked by: John
    James Carpenter
    Participant

Thank you John for the time save template. I was just building one to use ( long time SD3 user). computer crashed rebuilding all my templates.

You just saved me a good 2 hours of work.

Michael

Thanked by: John
    solmyr
    Participant

Awesome advice so far!  How do we open the files you supplied?  Is that done once the session is opened? Is there a menu or do we right click it?  Import them somehow?  Or is it done at the “crest new session” window?

thanks for helping out those of us who ride the short bus!  Lol.

John

Hi,

the file attached above is a ZIP compressed Pro Tools Session file. Either you open that one and build your own Template from it but I would simply import the Instrument Tracks from it into an existing Session/Template via the Import Session Data File Menu in Pro Tools.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.