MIDI piano roll note assignment

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • John

Hi,

if I understand you correctly, expand the ‘MIDI Mapping’ panel and click ‘Show MIDI Mapping Keys’.
    Select your added drum/cymbal. You should now see its articulations lit up in blue in the MIDI Mapping Keys window.
    Then you just grab the articulation in question and drag it to your desired location.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

andrushkiwt
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

if I understand you correctly, expand the ‘MIDI Mapping’ panel and click ‘Show MIDI Mapping Keys’.
    Select your added drum/cymbal. You should now see its articulations lit up in blue in the MIDI Mapping Keys window.
    Then you just grab the articulation in question and drag it to your desired location.

BR,
    John  

Alright, a few annoyances.

One: When I select an instrument while MIDI mapping is open and showing keys, the piano roll automatically adjusts so that the note hit is now on the top of the screen. I’d much rather it stay still so I can see what is above it without having to scroll up on that panel. For example, if I click the cymbal 5 icon, the piano roll on the R will adjust itself so that the cymbal 5 hit is on top of that screen. Why?

Two: It is showing me numbered keys, not notes. My MIDI editor in my DAW goes by E0, E1, F3, etc… not 48, 49, 65. It’s going to take a lot of back and forths to make sure I have things where I want them.

thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/andrushkiwt

andrushkiwt
    Participant

@andrushkiwt said:

Two: It is showing me numbered keys, not notes. My MIDI editor in my DAW goes by E0, E1, F3, etc… not 48, 49, 65. It’s going to take a lot of back and forths to make sure I have things where I want them.

thanks!  

Ah, I see now where I can change this. There’s a button with three straight lines, horizontally, and that gives a few more options in the MIDI panel. One of the options is to “show numbers” or “show keys”. Changing it to keys is what I needed. Sweet.

However, here’s a major flaw – If the hit I want to move is too far from its intended MIDI note, I have to first drag it onto an empty space and then bring it down, slowly, until I get to the intended spot. This is because the panel of MIDI notes DOES NOT SCROLL while dragging an item. Yup. So, if my crash 4 is currently on A3 and I want it on A0, I have to move it down a bit, drop it off halfway on an empty space (if there even is one), scroll down a bit, pick it back up, drop it again, and then finally put it where I want it.

Why doesn’t the panel scroll along with the dragging movement??!!?!

George Bellas
    Participant

“This is because the panel of MIDI notes DOES NOT SCROLL while dragging an item.”

That would indeed be a helpful feature and one that I expected when changing key assignments by dragging.

Entering the keyboard notes manually or by using the ‘Learn’ function is faster when reassigning to a key that is not in the current keyboard view.

andrushkiwt
    Participant

@George Bellas said:

….Entering the keyboard notes manually….is faster when reassigning to a key that is not in the current keyboard view.  

Nice, I’ll give this a try. Thanks…and glad you share my frustration. 🙂

Henrik
    Participant

@andrushkiwt said:
    Why doesn’t the panel scroll along with the dragging movement??!!?!  

This is a bug that will be fixed in a coming update!

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.