Memory server for S2.0

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Brad
    Participant

No one likes to spend more than they have to, however, the process you’re looking for can be achieved with Vienna Ensemble Pro. Having loaded my Mac with 16GB of RAM, I certainly understand your position.

Mac Studio M1 Max, RAM 64 GB, 1TB Drive, OSX 12.x/13.x and Windows 10 (VM)
    DAW: Studio One 5/6, Pro Tools Studio
    DTX Express III (Extreme triggers), Nektar LX88
    OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Presonus Quantum, Faderport & Faderport 8
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
    2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)

Scott

It would seem that as more and more DAWs go 64-bit, there is less and less need for a memory server. I’m not sure if Toontrack would spare the resources on such a dwindling need.

Of course, that doesn’t help you if your DAW isn’t 64-bit yet

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Martin

Yep, and Pro Tools is yet to be 64-bit. From what I hear, it’s because limitations in the RTAS format. With the new AAX plugin format they will finally cross over to fully support 64 bit and as a Pro Tools user myself, I can’t wait!

Vienna Pro is not officially supported, just thought I’d point that out as well.

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

Oli Poulsen
    Participant

Right…and PT won’t likely be 64 bit within in a year or so

Pro Tools 10 HD3 MacPro Quad 2.66 OSX 6.8 DTXtreme III special All S2.0 packs iMac 27 3.4 i7 OSX 8.2 Pro Tools 10 HD

Brad
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Martin
    Vienna Pro is not officially supported, just thought I’d point that out as well.

Right, I understand there’s a lot of ‘moving’ parts in play and support of a method like this could easily become a nightmare. Really it’s just a workaround until Pro tools releases a 64 bit version (another $300?… sorry I’m editorializing now aren’t I). Although I’ve used nothing but PT for 6 – 7 years, I’ve started to play around with Studio One Pro, mostly to take advantage of larger memory requirements.

OWC Thunderbay Mini (4 X 1TB Sata SSD), Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB M.2 SSD), Envoy Express (1TB M.2 SSD)
    Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128, BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5

Oli Poulsen
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Martin

Yep, and Pro Tools is yet to be 64-bit. From what I hear, it’s because limitations in the RTAS format. With the new AAX plugin format they will finally cross over to fully support 64 bit and as a Pro Tools user myself, I can’t wait!

And then we’ll have to wait for Toontrack to support AAX format…so it’s a year at least if we are a little realistisc

Pro Tools 10 HD3 MacPro Quad 2.66 OSX 6.8 DTXtreme III special All S2.0 packs iMac 27 3.4 i7 OSX 8.2 Pro Tools 10 HD

Martin

ORIGINAL: bradch00

Although I’ve used nothing but PT for 6 – 7 years, I’ve started to play around with Studio One Pro, mostly to take advantage of larger memory requirements.

I hear you, I have the same problem myself as Pro Tools user.

I’d recommend you check out the memory management section of the manual. When I record, I always enable 16 bit and after I’m finished with the drum track I unload all RAM, enable cache mode, play through the track once or twice and then exclude all unused and unloaded articulations. You can really trim down the RAM usage this way. If you want to use a removed articulation later on, you can easily put it pack into use. I also use the Small layer preset during recording to reduce RAM usage even further. I have gotten SDX kits that are around 50 MB this way, instead of 600 (standard Avatar kit). I enable 24 bit and unlimited layers only when bouncing.

Martin Kristoffersson
    Sound Designer

Brad
    Participant

Yes, I reduce the layers during development (recording), with 16 bits and the “cache mode” trick to enable only those samples I need. Very usable workarounds. Sometimes I just want to create something without having to deal with software. S1 lets me do that. However, I usually end up flying everything into PT to finish it off. Mostly because some of my fav plug-ins are not 64 bit either 😉

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.