Latency question for live tracking

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • John

Hi,

there is no such thing as a specific DAW latency. Latency depends on several factors: your audio interface and it’s drivers (preferably specifically written for the interface), the sample rate and buffer size of your audio interface, the DAW in question’s buffer size, if you have a straight path from input to output in your DAW’s mixer, if there are plugins and/or Automatic Delay Compensation active, etc.

More and more audio interfaces lets you monitor the direct signal while tracking, which can be useful if latency becomes a problem.

I think you need to try one in your specific setup to be sure it works for you.

Apart from the brands you have mentioned there are Focusrite and Universal Audio interfaces to check out.

BR,

John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Henry
    Participant

Thank you very much for the swift reply. Yes I am aware of all the factors you speak of and have tried live tracking with various USB and FW interfaces that have their own drivers, direct monitoring, etc in both Ptools and Studio one.

My question was more about the SD plugin latency than the DAW itself. What does it add to the soundcard’s RTL? I appreciate that it is not a black and white question.

I guess I am looking for stories of people’s experiences with these new TB soundcards which boast to have ultra low latency, allowing not-seen-before use of plug-ins like SD3 live when tracking e-drums.

Cheers,

H

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.