Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Insane CPU usage

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • jimbo_21
    Participant

BTW Apple sent me this…. Also my buffer is at max..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204466

Henrik
    Participant

Clicks pops slowing down and sounding like crap.

Have you tried what Stefan wrote earlier in this thread?

•  You might also try to change the number of CPU cores used by superior, using only one core seems to work better for me with Logic’s “Live Input Mode”.

Have you checked the CPU meter in Logic, to see if there are any spikes when the clicks occur?

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

• This post was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Henrik.
    NotJohnDenver
    Participant

Friend, I have been dealing with this problem forever and I finally came across this tip today and it has fixed my crazy insane CPU surges in Presonus Studio One. Switching to a single core fixed the problem immediately and I can’t thank you enough.

I know this was a few years ago, but thank you again!!

Thanked by: Henrik
    veleev
    Participant

I also have an issue with CPU. But only when I turn off the SD3. I use SD3 in Ableton for Live performance from Roland SPD-SX. And when I change the drum kit I need to turn-off the SD3 in Ableton to relax CPU..but when I automate TURN OFF CPU cpikes to 300-400% (all my 4 cores) which of course results in problems for Ableton -it freezes for a second. I use a lot of other plugin in setup and none of them behave like that.. I read all your post..and use 1 core setup..buffer size doesnot make difference at all of course.. Support has not replied yet

lightbox
    Participant

I notice in your screenshots that you both have the channel that has superior 3 on it selected in Logic. If you unselect it, does the issues go away (or get any better at all)?

I’ve had massive issues with CPU spikes on a Windows 10 system running Cubase 10 Pro. Selecting or unselecting an SD3 track makes a HUGE difference! I went through all tips and tricks for optimizing my system for pro audio that can be found on the internet, without success, until …

I read somewhere that Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology could cause issues as well, so I deinstalled the software and deactivated Intel Turbo Boost and EIST in the BIOS. Only after doing this, I could (finally) start using SD3 again on my new workstation (X299, Intel i9 7900, 64GB RAM, 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME).

I still see some spikes in VST Performance when an SD3 track is selected but at least it doesn’t max out and I don’t get dropouts anymore.

Superior Drummer is the only VSTi that seems to have these performance issues and I wish, Toontrack could come up with an update that fixes these problems!

Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

veleev, your problem is caused by a special handling we have to do to support Ableton Live. Unlike other VST hosts and counter to the VST standard it can suspend a plug during the rendering call. So when Ableton Live calls ‘suspend’ we perform a special manouver to avoid crashing and, as a side effect, that results in that call taking 1 second in the case where Ableton Live *does* follow the VST standard.

So, actually, while being insane it doesn’t actually use any CPU.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

psumesgutner
    Participant

Thanks so much for the “1 CPU hack”!!! Had some CPU issues two weeks ago with a song with two SD3 instances on it. Thought to solve it by adding more CPU cores…. Then the problems started on all songs with SD3! Switched back to 1, and the horrible spikes went away!

I kind of wonder what that CPU core setting is good for…

Bezo winZ
    Participant

I’m about to purchase SD3 and wanted to confirm where you all were making the core settings changes, DAW or SD3?

SD3 v3.3.6, EZbass v1.1.7, EZkeys v1.3.4
    Studio One v5.5.2, Cubase v12.0.60
    3.6GHz Intel i9 iMac, 64GB RAM, OS 12.6.1

psumesgutner
    Participant

Settings are within SD3. No worries, default settings are just fine.

Thanked by: Bezo winZ
    Bezo winZ
    Participant

Settings are within SD3. No worries, default settings are just fine.

And I think my Logic settings are set to auto, but I’ll check. Good info in here as my instincts would’ve been to go multi in SD3 if I was having issues.

Being on a 2017 Macbook Pro with only 16GB of RAM, I’m a bit worried. I’ll need the available RAM optimizing features, but that usually puts more strain on the CPU. 4-core 2.8 GHz i7 sounds a little weak in 2019.

SD3 v3.3.6, EZbass v1.1.7, EZkeys v1.3.4
    Studio One v5.5.2, Cubase v12.0.60
    3.6GHz Intel i9 iMac, 64GB RAM, OS 12.6.1

John

Hi BezO,

I’m running a MBP with those specs but from 2015 and SD3 is not what puts me in CPU or Memory troubles.
    I have my cores set to ‘1’ in SD3.

BR,

John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

mrphyzz
    Participant

hi, i also suffered through about a day’s worth of unnecessary tech frustration before finding this thread. yes, setting sd 3 to “one core”, which is totally and absolutely counterintuitive to me, did finally resolve my horrific crackling issue. has it been addressed in the software? if not there needs to be a note, something, to indicate that “one core” is the way to go. i’m not sure if always or only under certain conditions, but in my case it’s sd3 within logic 10.4.5 on a mid 2011 macbook air (this somewhat outdated machine has been dedicated to my roland td50 edrums, and btw now everything works beautifully, what a relief).

best regards from zurich,

virgil

Thanked by: Henrik

Hi guys,

I don’t have an option for CPU usage when I open S3 inside Cubase.  Is there any other way to control CPU usage?

Jorg
    Participant

You need to log in to your toontrack account to have access and be able to post in the support forum for SD3

Am I not logged in? What do you mean?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.