grooves talking

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • RacerX29
    Participant

I’m curious, which software package do you have? Is it just EZDrummer? Do you have any expansions? I’ve never seen Superior Drummer, so I can’t comment on that.

Here’s my opinion. I’ve been making music for a while now, just for myself with a few friends. I’ve been using free drum loops that I found online. Some of these loops are amazing and I have used them to create songs. I was thinking that I might have the potential to sell some of my songs and I don’t want any copyright problems. These drum loops were free but may not be royalty free. That’s why I got EZDrummer.

Now then, I haven’t been able to find ANY preset beats that match up with the songs I have written. I can find a pattern that is close and it’s in time but it doesn’t “fit.” That’s where the power of MIDI note editing comes in. I have been able to reproduce the drum patterns for (4) of my songs so far. EZDrummer’s preset patterns didn’t work, so I made my own. But the presets are a decent starting point.

If that’s something you don’t want to do, then you should look at buying an expansion that is in your style of music and see if there are patterns closer to your desire. Otherwise, just go in and build your own patterns. That’s what I’m doing.

Does this kinda answer your question?

RacerX29
    Participant

Just to follow up. I’ve been using EZDrummer for the last two weeks and I have now re-created the drum loops for several more of my songs.

I have to say, EZDrummer is phenomenal! There were a couple of songs with some very aggressive kick drum patterns. I just took my time and placed the MIDI notes where they needed to be. I can achieve some realistic sounds by adjusting the velocity of the hit.

My other thought is that I got spoiled by the free drum loop WAV files that I downloaded. There were some amazing patterns and really nice sound effects on the drums. Whoever made them knew what they were doing. Since I made songs on top of those grooves, it was impossible to find patterns, from the default EZDrummer grooves, that would fit. That brings up the issue that EZDrummer’s basic grooves are bit “bland” and more generic in their design. The question is, will I still write convincing songs? Maybe that’s what you are after. Having a “spicy” drum beat to base the rest of the song on while you are writing/creating it.

This is where the expansion packs come in, I’m hoping. I haven’t installed the two expansion packs I bought, yet. I’m still trying to go through all of the songs I already have. I’m hoping that the expansions have a good variety of high quality grooves – I’ll find that out soon.

Butter Buns
    Participant

ORIGINAL: RacerX29

Now then, I haven’t been able to find ANY preset beats that match up with the songs I have written. I can find a pattern that is close and it’s in time but it doesn’t “fit.” That’s where the power of MIDI note editing comes in. EZDrummer’s preset patterns didn’t work, so I made my own. But the presets are a decent starting point.

pretty much. dont like the loops? edit them or make your own.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.