EZDrummer and Toontrack Solo feat request MIDI LEARN

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dave Modisette
    Participant

Superior Drummer 2 has the midi learn feature.  You might want to investigate that product as it was targeted more toward what you are trying to do. 

Dave Modisette www.gatortraks.com www.plasticsamerica.com http://www.gatortraks.com/forum

ProDigit
    Participant

It is also more expensive, and has many feats I don’t really need… :/

Scott

I’m not saying that your FR is invalid but, as Dave pointed out, Superior Drummer 2 was designed with e-drum support in mind whilst EZdrummer has very, very limited e-drum support, and that only with Toontrack Solo as host using the ‘E-drum’ controller preset.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

ProDigit
    Participant

So, it’s a Toontrack solo issue, or an Ezdrummer VST issue?

I don’t think that it’s THAT hard to implement a midi learn, or a way to re-rout midi signals.
    I don’t think that EZdrummer is endangering the sales of superior drummer that much. People who are really serious about drumming should go for superior drumming. And I find instead of using a preset drumkit, I’d probably prefer if superior drummer mainly focuses on selecting your own drumkit from samples taken from a variety of cymbals (eg: Zildjan, Paiste, Sabian, etc…) . Ezdrummer mainly focuses on a few preset drumkits with limited space to modify or adjust. I’m not saying that Ezdrummer should get into Superior drummer territory. All I’m saying is that it isn’t fair that people who purchased Ezdrummer, and can’t access all samples because they don’t have a sophisticated controller should be punished over people who do.

Meaning, basskick should remain basskick, regardless of which edrums you connect to them as midi controller (Roland, Alesis, or Yamaha, Yoki or Simmons,…). But if a hardware kit only has 2 cymbals and 3 toms, I find it more than normal if the e-kit has 2 toms and 3 cymbals, that one of the toms will be replaced with a cymbal, instead of using the same sample for 2 toms (and thus wasting a pad).

Superiordrummer is great! but not everyone likes the advanced-ness of it!
    I just want to control a great pop kit like in EzDrummer, and have limited flexibility on it.

John

It is not an “issue”, it is by design.
    If MIDI Learn would be implemented it would defeat a great deal of the EZ concept and open up a can of worms. Please remember that an EZdrummer expansion is sounds and MIDI.
    Can you imagine how the Support Tickets would increase if EZdrummer users easily could change the MIDI layout and destroy compatibility with the supplied MIDI?

You are of course entitled to Feature Requests but I just want to explain why I doubt it would happen in the foreseeable future.

Best Regards,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

ProDigit
    Participant

Well, I doubt about that…
    I think that if there’s a small program running in toontrack solo, in between the incoming midi messages and EZdrummer, that could just change midi notes (eg: C4 to G4) that it would do nothing to the functionality of the program. At most you’d be introducing a latency of less than a tenth of a millisecond on modern computers.

Kind of like a midi rerouter. If you look at MidiOx, which I might test with toontrack Solo in the near future, remapping midi goes very easy.
    The default always is NO remapping. from there you could remap, and save that preset as a patch, which you can load up.

It would do absolutely NOTHING to EZdrummer in terms of programming, as the MIDI mapper is chained before the incoming midi commands in the plugin.
    In toontrack solo perhaps some programming need to be done, to run a small app. Midi remapping does not require a powerful computer. Any computer can remap midi on the fly (downto the 32Mhz ones of the late 1980’s), because it’s just changing a text and a number digit to another one; so it’s definitely not a problem on most modern computers.
    If programmed well, there will be no perceived latency issues neither.

I understand not building this in EZdrummer, but perhaps in toontrack Solo?
    That’d allow for previous EZDrummer plugins to be compatible, and not require them to change.

And since toontrack Solo is made for live drumming,I think the midi remapping feat fits more there, than within the easy drummer plugin.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.