Built In Groove Editor

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Scott

Which supported host DAWs don’t have a MIDI editor?

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Cytem
    Participant

Sorry, I miss-spoke. I meant Drum Map Editor. I know Pro Tools doesn’t have one, which is what I’m using. Switched from Cubase, which I know has a great editor for drums.

Scott

My guess would be that if enough users asked for such a feature, one may be implemented. It has only been mentioned a few times in my 5 or so years on this forum but not consistently asked for.

Personally, I have little use for a MIDI editor built into S2 as I use my DAW (Cubase) for editing and I’m lighting fast with it.

Scott Sibley - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

redlogic
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Scott
    Personally, I have little use for a MIDI editor built into S2 as I use my DAW (Cubase) for editing and I’m lighting fast with it.

+1
    Same here in Logic.

Macmini 2019 3.2 GHz 6-Core i7, 32GB RAM, MacOS 10.15.2, LogicProX 10.4.8, FF400, UAD2 Satellite Octo

Whitten
    Participant

+2.
    Edit in Logic …… and Pro Tools.

Cytem
    Participant

Cubase and Logic are brilliant with those features, but doesn’t that make the plugin too dependent on what a DAW has to offer as far as programing? I used Cubase before Pro Tools, so I didn’t think much of it either and probably would have said the same thing as you guys, until it was no longer available to me. Over at the Avid feedback forums, there’s a small community of people pretty much begging for the same thing and they’re constantly glossed over. Sure there’s EZplayer, but it doesn’t quite do the same thing. I was at a recording studio in San Francisco not too long ago, and one reason they use BFD2 over Superior is because of it’s built in groove editor. So I guess what I’m trying to understand is, why not? What would Toontrack have to lose by adding the ability to edit/map out grooves? Wouldn’t that make Superior more….superior?

Whitten
    Participant

The way I edit grooves, move notes and change velocities is in Logic’s piano roll note editor.
    I’ve done the same in PT.
    So my question would be, what would you want in a Superior editor that you don’t find in a DAW’s note edit functions?

godprobe
    Participant

ORIGINAL: Cytem

[…] What would Toontrack have to lose by adding the ability to edit/map out grooves? […]

Just to drop a practical answer to that question: time.  Think of all the other not-so-redundant things that might be done with the dev and support time it would take to create and maintain a full-featured MIDI editor within the plug-in.

WinXP | Fireface 800 | Variax | Axe-Fx | Toontrack | Komplete | Reaper http://www.godprobe.com/projects/notemaps/

Tom
    Participant

My I suggest an alternative. Make it possible for Jamstix to reside in Superior 2.

At the moment I have Jamstix send midi signals to Superior 2, but there is some latency involved so that timing is set off somewhat.

Cytem
    Participant

ORIGINAL: tombuur

My I suggest an alternative. Make it possible for Jamstix to reside in Superior 2.

At the moment I have Jamstix send midi signals to Superior 2, but there is some latency involved so that timing is set off somewhat.

I haven’t heard of Jamstix, but I’m looking it up right now. Looks pretty sweet. Thanks Tom.

Tom
    Participant

There are many ways to use Jamstix. I prefer the template where you can add snare, kick notes etc. where you want them. Then I choose different drummer models to personalize it with accents and fills. Works much better than scanning through hundreds of midi clips that don’t really fit the song (including the ones from Toontrack).

I wish Toontrack would make this a part of Superior 3 or as an add-on for purchase. Particularly improving the ugly GUI Jamstix tend to have.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.