Bass Midi files

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Jay Coover
    Participant

I think I commented on it, so please don’t take this as official word from Toontrack.

Bass is going to be more complex to apply the EZKeys model to because bass is not a polyphonic (chordal) instrument. It supports the chords of course, but let’s say you have a measure of bass where there is an E note followed by a C followed by a B.

How do you analyze that in the way that you would with EZKeys midi?

It could be:
    1. Em C Bm
    2. E7 C B7
    3. E C Bm
    3. Em C B7…and so on

Then let’s say you’ve got an E note followed by a B note followed by a G note.

Is that:
    1. All Em? Just covering one chord.
    2. A weird way of covering a G6 chord starting on the 6.
    3. E7 Bm G
    4. E E/B G

See my point?

I suppose it’s possible to provide bass parts with already-defined chords, not analyzed on the fly, and go from there. It’s possible, it’s just not going to be a simple rewrite of EZKeys.

SD 2.3 NY vol 2/Metal Foundry/C & V/Roots 1 & 2/Music City Latin Percussion/Funkmasters/The Classic/Jazz/Pop!/#1 Hits/Electronic/Twisted/Claustrophobic EZKeys 1.1 with all the trimmings

notstewart
    Participant

Thanks fizbin!
    I guess it’s wishful thinking on my part because I suck at playing bass.

Samplitude Pro X3 Suite, SD 3, Tascam UH7000

macdutch
    Participant

Well : I am hoping for some sort of Bass accompaniment to go with EzKeys, maybe indeed based on already existing chordal schemes. It is possible to at least use the “Use browser midi” on a played midi bass line. I already imported a (badly played) midi bassline into EzKeys, then let one of the patterns loose on it, scrubbed the upper notes coming out of that and ended up with a bass line better than what i could have come up with. Problem is . It is geared towards keys so having bass patterns to “adjust” any played midi would already be a good start for EZ-Bass , maybe call it “Ez-Bass converter”.

Next would be to look into how Band In a box does it. A lot of midi-patterns (in a proprietary format) there in songs that have predefined bass lines to go with chords you can type in. Very complex program and nowhere near the usability of EzKeys, but very in depth musically speaking.
    The truth lies somewhere in between and I hope the Toontrack guys can pull it of. I have also heard rumors (unconfirmed ) that Spectrasonics is looking into adding something to the next version of Trillian along these lines. For me that is the best sounding Bass VSTi out there, it would be unbeatable with something like Bass-Pattern Generator based on some Band In Box kind of algorithm, even without analyze capabilities. Maybe just reading in chords from a midi part of a different instrument or even from Melodyne?)

and please also a new logic pro and mac pro to go with that …yesterday

Macdutch

Mac PRO 12 core Logic Guitars & Keys

GWxxx
    Participant

Would it be an idea just to approach Jörgen Bornemark and ask him to base a new plugin on the thinking he had for the Broomstick Bass???

Mads Windings bass-playing was superb in that plugin and perhaps Dirtyloops Henrik Linder would be a modern name to promote an undertaking of this magnitude?

EZBass could start as an expansion/standalone with EZKeys midi-Funk and Henrik Linder to see if it finds an audience. Then go on to linking/or standalone to other EZKeys midis. Why not original collaborations? Why not a Dirtyloops pack EZKeys/EZBass/Superior Drums 3? Unlike Bornemark (after a while), you guys have the technical resources to pull this off.

(Personally I would in the future like see bass-options like Sousaphone, Bottleblow, Bass-clarinet to broaden the spectrum in indie and filmmaking genres like Horror…)

I would not at all be surprised if you have already discussed all of this inside Toontrack, since it´s all along the same path you have already entered…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.