Four amazing deals,
this weekend only!

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

Four amazing deals, this weekend only!*

a 'nervous' Free Up Disk Space question

Product Manager
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Olof

The folders ending with _SDX are the downloads, the others are the installed libraries. Clean Up will remove the downloads.

The installations getting deleted with ‘clean up’ can only happen if you have installed into such _SDX folders. However, the current version of the SDX installer (which has been used since April when installations are started from the Product Manager) does not allow you to install in such locations.

To be extra safe, I suggest you create a subfolder named Downloads in this Toontrack folder, then go to Product Manager Options, change the download location to the new Downloads folder and then click Move Downloads. See what happens on disk and test in SD3 if your libraries still work. Then, you can safely use Clean Up – it will only delete from the Downloads folder.

Olof Hermansson - Toontrack
    Coder

ij
    Participant

I’m not sure what the extra safe part means

So I will try the clean up with one item… as from what you’ve said – it ‘should’ work… as the scare stories – are from the old version of Product Manager

Thanks for the help x

ij
    Participant

Thanks that all worked and has saved me 520GB

Thanks again

Olof

No problem.

Coder

Kowee
    Participant

No problem.

Hi Olof,

I did “Free up Disk Space” and whole libraries were deleted.  Then, I’ve re-downloaded 500GB libraries and created subfolder and moved downloads to there by Product manager.

Now my path is external HDD > Toontrack (folder) > Downloads (folder) > files

looks like following

pathpath

Do you think “free up disk space” will work fine with this situation? I’m really afraid to lose files because re-downloading is frustrated badlly. I’d like to make it sure before re-try “free up disk space” option.

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Kojei

Operating system: macOS Sierra (10.12)
    John

Hi Kowee,

as stated above, installed libraries can only get deleted if they are actually installed into the very same folder that the Product Manager is downloading the installation files. If, in your example above, you have set the Product Manager to use ‘external HDD>Toontrack>Downloads’ as the ‘Downloads‘ folder in Preferences and you install the libraries Decades and Legacy of Rock inside ‘external HDD>Toontrack>Downloads’, they will get wiped if you clear the Downloaded files folder.

I hope this clears things up and you understand the difference between Downloaded and Installed files?

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Kowee
    Participant

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. So, in my current situation, sound libraries will be deleted again by “free up disk space” option, right? I created “downloads(folder)” and moved files by clicking “Move Downloads”(from Product manager) after I installed SDX  files by Product Manager. Before I clicked “Move Downloads” option, all folder&files were located on Toontrack(folder) of my external HDD.

Is there any ways to check where is installaed files?(Folder name or extension name?)

And please let me make sure about “free up disk space” . Is this option’s purpose that to delete unnecessary files which is installed already rather than uninstall files? Am I understand correctly?

Regards,

Kojei

John

Hi,

if you check my attached screen shot, you can see that I have clicked my Rooms of Hansa library’s Installation Info tab to inspect where exactly the library is installed.
    I have 2 installation paths, one that points to my external SSD which currently is not attached and another that points to a location on my internal drive on my MacBook Pro.

My PM Preferences has got my ‘Downloads’ folder set to ‘/Users/johnrammelt/Downloads/Toontrack’ which has got nothing to do with where I install stuff; I consider this location a TEMP folder. So when I hit that ‘Clean Up…’ button, I am sure I do not delete anything important.

The PM has got to download files to a temporary location to be able to install them to a “fixed” location.

PM_Info

I hope this clarifies,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Kowee
    Participant

Hi John,

Thanks for your screenshot. I could figure out my installed files, so I moved them manually to new “installation” folder and then created new path.(authorize were needed by the way)

NewPath

PM’s downloads location is

DL_location

Do you think it’s safe to do “free up disk space” with these path?

I assume it should works but want to know what you think for conviction.

Regards,

Kojei

Olof

Hi Kowee,

I can answer that: Yes, the paths are fine, and assuming the other SDX installation paths are similar to the one for Decades, you can safely use Free Up Disk Space.

I’m curious how it didn’t go well the last time, since the SDX installer for a few years now does not allow installation into an SDX download. Maybe you could attach your SoundInstallerlog.log from Macintosh HD > Users > Shared > Toontrack, so I can see where the SDXs were installed earlier?

Coder

Kowee
    Participant

Hi,

Finally I could finished Free Up Space safely. In the end I did create installation folder ouside TOONTRACK folder because when that installation folder was inside Toontrack folder, PM showed Free Up Space will delete approximately same size of installation folder. So, I moved installation folder to outside Toontack folder. Anyway, I attached my SoundInstallerlog.log.

Thank you for the support.

Kojei

Olof

Thanks. I think I know what happened: You never installed part 1 of the SD3 core library (when you got it in 2018) but you instead set its path from within SD3 Settings to inside the download (/Volumes/SAMPLE/TOONTRACK/SL-SuperiorDrummer3_SDX_Part1/Contents/SL-SuperiorDrummer3). We should fix that, it should not be allowed to do. Then when you installed Decades and Legacy of Rock, the installer defaulted to “next to the core library” (which it shouldn’t have, because it was a bad location).

Coder

nmc4114
    Participant

Why on Earth would you include a free up space button, requiring all this folder moving confusion?!?!?
    I am not computer illiterate and I understood none of what you posted as an answer. How do I locate this

library folder that I will find these files that are necessary but not necessary? Where do I create the extra folder

and why didn’t the installation process do that already? Or, why wouldn’t you just auto delete the files that

were safe to delete in the first place? Literally, WTF?

Operating system: Windows 7
    John

Hi nmc4114,

the confusion is about some users not realising the difference between the files you Download for installation and the subsequently installed library.
    Once you have run the Installer and the library is installed, the downloaded installation files can be deleted.
    If you for some reason have installed the library into the location of your Downloads folder and clear the Downloads folder, you naturally clear the library as well.

E.g. my Downloads go int o my ‘User/Downloads/Toontrack’ folder on my system drive, which I am fully aware is a temporary location.
    My installed Libraries go into a ‘Superior Drummer 3’ folder on my external SSD drive.

Moving the installed library post installation is something else, this can be desirable for anyone who e.g. is running out of disk space.
    Adding alternative library paths is for users who have a Full Library Install on e.g. a big drive when in the studio and a partial smaller Library Install on a portable drive.

I hope this clarifies.
    BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

nmc4114
    Participant

So, since I installed the library on my internal hard drive, in the folder it recommended, then I can safely hit the clean up button?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.