Name: Funtwo Oscar Lim
Location: New Zealand
When did you realize your passion for music and how come you ended up playing guitar?
– Three main things got me have the passion on music. 1. In my childhood, music of a Korean musician called ‘Seo Taiji’ made me got into pop and rock style music. 2. When I was 14 listening to The main riff of the song ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ by Nirvana I made my mind to start playing the guitar. I was shocked by the sound. In the next few days I grabbed a guitar. 3. My video ‘Canon’ had made a sensation in 2006 on Youtube and I since then I have taken music seriously in my life journey.
What’s your main guitar right now?
– My main guitar is 2015 Tom Anderson The Classic ‘Light Baby Blue’.
Any other guitars in your collection?
– ESP ‘Alfee Custom’ SEC-280TC, Kraken Funtwo Custom T Guitar.
Name five players that helped shape you as a guitarist!
– Joe Satriani, Hyun Suk Lee (Korean guitarist), Eric Johnson, Neil Zaza, Nuno Bettencourt
Looking ahead, what’s your ultimate goal with your music and guitar-playing?
– My goal is making good videos with good music to reach out people through the web space.
Who’s the most interesting player today?
– Of course there are so many great players but If I had to name just one, I’d say I admire musicianship of Jack Thammarat, a Thai musician. He’s one who speaks and sings with guitar.
What amp and cab combo would you say is your go-to?
– Mesa Boogie Mark V: 25 head pairing with Mesa 2×12 recto cab is it. I think They are very versatile on both live and recording.
A quick rundown of your pedals and outboard?
– I love using Vox Joe Satriani pedal series. Ice 9 Overdrive, Satchurator Distortion, Time Machine, Delay, Big Bad Wah. Those four are main stomps in my board. In many occasions I use Zoom G5 multi stomps as well.
String gauge and pick of choice?
– I use Black Smith .010 gauge strings. For picks, GraphTech Tusq Warm Tone and Dunlop Jazz III Eric Johnson signature are my favorites.
Your current top-five with guitar-related music?
Jack Thammarat – “Awakening”
Dream Theater – “Overture 1928”
Scar Symmetry – “Anomaly”
Steve Morse – “On The Pipe”
Joe Satriani – “Premonitio”