Unable to import tracked midi without problems.

Requests and Feedback
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • John

Hi,

before you Bounce the files in Superior 3, un-check ‘Follow Host’.Then the Imported Tempo map will be applied correctly to your Bounced files.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

David Snow
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

before you Bounce the files in Superior 3, un-check ‘Follow Host’.Then the Imported Tempo map will be applied correctly to your Bounced files.

BR,
    John  

Hi John, I am sorry, but that one sentence answer did not work.
    Please read carefully the steps I used to create the file. As a result of my import actions, II currently have a perfectly synced up Track file, that clicks to the SD3 metronome perfectly, and that plays perfectly in sync with DP when SD3 is in the Tracker window.
    As per your instructions, I tried un-checking “follow host” in the bottom area next to SD3’s play button, it did nothing to help, the files were still badly off when imported into DP or the MID song block area. Your instructions did not include mention of any of the options involved in midi export in SD3?
    In the export area, there are MANY options, and you said nothing about how to set them?
    There are options under “Tempo”, and options under “Save selected midi as…” I don;t understand how you would;t be more specific.
    It may not matter anyway as I have tried all options once again, with the difference being I un checked “Follow Host” in the Superior play bar. Not only did the track import to the wrong bars in DP, the played super fast.

Again, besides all the steps I wrote earlier, when creating the original Tracker midi, I had a variable tempo map in DP that was made to fit the drum audio. I merged all audio to bar 1 in DP before importing it into SD 3. I don;t know if I should have somehow imported the DP conductor tempo map into tracker? (I am not even aware if that is needed or how to do it).
    Once I imported the audio into tracker, I hit “find tempo”, and then moved the 1st SD3 bar line to the 1st beat of audio. I then manually shifted subsequent beats as per the instructions on youtube, finally ending with adjust tempo or whatever the last tempo command is that you use after manually adjusting beats.
    So I had an original tempo map in DP, and a tempo map in Superior. I have also tried both tempo options upon import INTO DP. The “ignore” midi tempo map command, and the “merge”. Neither worked.

This is highly technical stuff, and something is wrong. I find your tutorial to be way too vague. Even in the manual it is hard to find all the export pull down menu options.
    Please give me step by step instruction, or clarify your previous comment.
    Again, the is already a variable tempo map in DP, and that map cannot be undone as all audio in DP follows it.
    I do not understand how Track and DP can be perfectly synced yet export results in such a mess.

Thanks for you help,
    David

I then adjusted tons of bar lines in tracker, and had tracker

John

Hi,

sorry I misunderstood your first post; I thought you were trying to use the Superior 3 internal Bounce feature, to render your Tracker converted MIDI to audio per microphone and the exported audio didn’t line up with your MIDI when imported to DP.

If you have a Temo map in DP and want to apply it to your Tracker tracks, please export a MIDI file (with just anything, since you only need it for the Tempo map) from DP and if you have any options there to include Tempo map or not, be sure to include it.
    In the Tracker window, you have a ‘Global Tracks’ pane at the top, right where your first imported audio track is.
    Expand it and select ‘Load Tempo Map from MIDI file’.
    Now, this should ensure that you have the exact same Tempo Map inside Tracker as in DP.
    When Exporting MIDI from Tracker, you would now use the ‘Tracker Tempo Map’.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Jacob
    Participant

@David Snow said:
    Again, the is already a variable tempo map in DP, and that map cannot be undone as all audio in DP follows it.

When you export Midi from Tracker, you will have to use the same tempomap as you will use upon playback in DP.
    So since you have a tempomap in DP, you must export that tempomap from DP to a midifile and import that midifile in the tracker main window (see attached pic).Please make sure that the imported tempos are the same as in the Host otherwise it could be signs of a bug.
    Then do your tracking and in the Exportview, export with the “Tracker Tempo Map” option selected in the tempo menu.

The other way would be to create a tempomap in Tracker Find Tempo, then do your export with the “Tracker Tempo map”. Then make sure that DP loads the tempomap from the exported midifile.
    In both these scenarios the Host and Tracker Export are using the same tempomap.

The other options in the tempomenu are:
    1) When exporting with Follow Host, it will only export with a fixed tempo that is returned from the host playhead position.
    2) You can export with the tempomap from the S3 Songtrack tempo editor.

I hope this helps, otherwise get back to us.
    // Jacob
    tempomap.png

Jacob Norén - Toontrack
    Coder

Jacob
    Participant

@John said:
    Hi,

oh, missed your reply..

Jacob Norén - Toontrack
    Coder

David Snow
    Participant

Thanks John,
    So I finally got it to work with your last instructions on importing midi tempo map from DP. Was that information anywhere in the manual? Because I sure didin’t see much about it. But I appreciate the help for sure.

So I have another question?

It appears to me now, that I have 2 options on tempo maps to live drums:
    1) Make the tempo map in DP and import into Superior.
    2) Make NO tempo map in DP, but make it in superior and import it from superior into DP.
    Am I correct?

Here is what I am wondering about:
    I have a tune at 100 bpm. I have drums in it that were played to a click and are fairly close to the beat. Do I have to make a tempo map in either program, or can I just let superior track the audio to midi, and not make beat by beat perfection out of any tempo map? I am reluctant to have and DP file with variable tempo maps unless absolutely necessary. Id appreciate your thoughts on strategy here.

Thanks

Andreas
    Forum Crew

@David Snow said:
    It appears to me now, that I have 2 options on tempo maps to live drums:
    1) Make the tempo map in DP and import into Superior.
    2) Make NO tempo map in DP, but make it in superior and import it from superior into DP.
    Am I correct?

Yes.

@David Snow said:
    Here is what I am wondering about:
    I have a tune at 100 bpm. I have drums in it that were played to a click and are fairly close to the beat. Do I have to make a tempo map in either program, or can I just let superior track the audio to midi, and not make beat by beat perfection out of any tempo map? I am reluctant to have and DP file with variable tempo maps unless absolutely necessary. Id appreciate your thoughts on strategy here.

Thanks  

Just make sure that the tempo map exported with the MIDI file from SD3 is a constant 100bpm and everything should sync perfectly.

Andreas Walfridsson - Toontrack
    UX Designer

Ben Crook
    Participant

If you’re stemming out drums from a drum edit/drum recording, make sure the audio is bounced at the same sample rate as the project. This solved a sync issue for me.

Ally_4
    Participant

Im also having difficulties syncing with tracker – I follow above but tempo map never matches – SD3 always starts at 1:1:1:1 whereas my logic project starts at 0. Although SD3 playhead always starts when logic reaches 1:1:1:1 it is always out of sync. I have used method in this thread before and it worked great but can’t seem to get them to sync in this particular project.

When creating tempo map in logic I get this message (see attached – screenshot 1). Is this something to do with it? Also you can see that the logic tempo map and the SD3 one don’t match (see screenshot 2).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ally

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.