Tracker – the most efficient and accurate on the market ?

Superior Drummer 3 Pre-sales
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • John

Hi,

are you asking if someone could use Tracker to convert that WAV file to MIDI for you?

You can set the first Bar to be Bar 0 or Bar 1 in the Song Track(s) and Tracker.

BR,
    John

John Rammelt - Toontrack
    Technical Advisor

Bob Muso
    Participant

I have no to way to TRY SD3 to see if it will convert the wav to midi accurately other than spending US$319. What is the best way to find out if it will ?

Will SD3 give a 2 bar count-in -1 0 1 or just one bar 0 1 ?

Jeffrey Mulliken
    Participant

I have the same question, and it’s the primary reason that I am considering SD3. I think Bob also uses Band in a Box, as I do, which will produce a full drum track mix. I have hopes that I could import the full drum mix into SD3, and have tracker find all of the individual parts and map them to midi. Even if I had to use the same mixed WAV file, and select a different piece of the kit each time, could it pull the hi hat out of the mix in one pass, and then the snare out in a second pass, etc.? If there’s a way to use tracker with a full drum mix, I’m in. Thanks.

Andreas
    Forum Crew

@jsmullikenca said:
    I have the same question, and it’s the primary reason that I am considering SD3. I think Bob also uses Band in a Box, as I do, which will produce a full drum track mix. I have hopes that I could import the full drum mix into SD3, and have tracker find all of the individual parts and map them to midi. Even if I had to use the same mixed WAV file, and select a different piece of the kit each time, could it pull the hi hat out of the mix in one pass, and then the snare out in a second pass, etc.? If there’s a way to use tracker with a full drum mix, I’m in. Thanks.  

The Tracker was designed to replace close miced instruments (kick, snare, toms, ride, hi-hat, cymbals). It’s however possible to do as you suggest, import the file, duplicate it and then replace different kit pieces from the different tracks. The AI may not be able to recognize all trigger points from the file, but it will give you a solid foundation to improve on using the tools available in the Tracker tab if you need to. The clearer the transients are the better the result will be. This means repeated hits, like 8th notes, played on the edge of a bigger cymbal (a typical crash, ride or china for example) or an open hi-hat may need some user improvement. Do you feel like you generally will be triggering noisy drum parts, then you will probably need to spend some more time, if not, the job should be done pretty quickly. I suggest you have a look at this tutorial (if you haven’t seen it already) to get an impression of how to use the Tracker: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=qoRmShiuItQ

In the end everything is possible, it’s just a matter of how much time you like to spend on tracking each song. I’ve been able to track pretty tricky drum parts, Dream Theater stuff for example, from stereo files using the method you suggested. I honestly don’t know of any other software that would be better or quicker to use for this process.

//Andreas

Andreas Walfridsson - Toontrack
    UX Designer

Andreas
    Forum Crew

@Bob Muso said:
    I have no to way to TRY SD3 to see if it will convert the wav to midi accurately other than spending US$319. What is the best way to find out if it will ?

The result differs from file to file. For close miced instruments the AI generally makes a very good job. The tools available in the Tracker makes it possible to trigger any file, in the end it’s just a matter of how much time you like to spend improving the results using the different tools and features available in the Tracker.

Have a look at this video to get to know more about what the tracker can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=qoRmShiuItQ

@Bob Muso said:
    Will SD3 give a 2 bar count-in -1 0 1 or just one bar 0 1 ?  

In settings it’s possible to set what the first bar should be called, 0 or 1. There are no count-ins in the tracker, you can however make the tracker follow you host (DAW).

//Andreas

UX Designer

Andreas
    Forum Crew

@Bob Muso said:
    So I uploaded a stereo drum mix to convert to midi:
    Listen: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5i4bpajqhbprp3/Drums-Blues-120ev.wav?dl=0
    Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5i4bpajqhbprp3/Drums-Blues-120ev.wav?dl=1
    If it does that it should do the rest hopefully.
    Bob.  

Imported this file. Piece of cake. Everything was triggered perfectly in a few minutes time. Had to select which tom sound to map to which tom in SD3 and tweak the hi-hat a bit. Added and removed a few cymbal hits while playing through the song as well. If I knew the song and didn’t have to listen to the entire thing it would have been even quicker.

//Andreas

UX Designer

Bob Muso
    Participant

Thanks Andreas, I appreciated your help and taking the time to try the conversion.
    Still unclear on the Bar Offset see the pic
    DAW_Bar-Offset.jpg

RobWood
    Participant

Hi, not sure where to ask my question but sorry if this is the wrong place.  I followed the advice of some videos and used tracker to convert my audio to midi.The problem is after I drag the midi item with all the drums combined in to the place at the bottom and play it with my song,  I do not hear the drums. What is going here?  I only here the drums when I have the tracker window clicked on. I thought the point of this was to use the midi. I am totally confused.

Thanks,

Rob

• This post was modified 3 years ago by RobWood.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.