Possible to edit Cymbal Choke length?

Studio Corner
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Henrik
    Participant

You can control the chokes of cymbals in many ways in SD3.

• You can have that sound that muting does, the small “ring”. It’s called Mute Tail in SD3.
      • How the Mute Tail articulation is enabled is decided in the property box for mute tail triggers.
        • By default it’s triggered by Aftertouch
          • This is controlled in the area beneath the MIDI notes in the Grid Editor
        • Can be changed to being triggered with note length, so when the note ends the cymbal is choked
          • If you select this, you can right click that instrument in the Grid Editor and select “Show Length” to control the chokings.
    • You can also just fade out the sound
      • In the Level Envelope, click the Release dot and select what should trigger it; Aftertouch or Note Off. Then you can control in the same way as described above in the Grid Editor.

Please reply back here if you need further assistance, since it’s a lot of information 🙂

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

Thanked by: Luke Gibson
    Olof Westman
    Forum Crew

You can also MIDI map the Tail articulation and hit it with a NoteOn to mute the cymbal. This is unusual but is occasionally used by people who cannot use any of the two main alternatives. E-drummers with lesser gear, I should think.

Olof Westman - Toontrack
    Coder

Thanked by: Luke Gibson and Henrik
    Nip
    Participant

Good stuff, thanks.

Looking in manual on “choke” not much is mentioned, and just aftertouch.

Is polyphonic required, or channel aftertouch is the most common what I’ve seen?

Can you create an articulation emulation like doing filter envelope on a cymbal – if not present?

I did long ago in a sampler and DFH, and found that to be best sounding that way.

Thanked by: Luke Gibson
    Luke Gibson
    Participant

Haven’t been able to test it yet, but when I do I’ll let you know if I run into any issue, thank you for your help 🙂

Henrik
    Participant

Is polyphonic required, or channel aftertouch is the most common what I’ve seen?

• Both can be used. You’ll find the curves for both in the bottom area of the Grid Editor.

Can you create an articulation emulation like doing filter envelope on a cymbal – if not present?

• You can trigger a faded release with either aftertouch or note length. This is changed in the Envelope box in the drums tab.
      • If you wish to use length you should also enable Show Note Length in the grid editor for those instruments (in Grid Editor; right click the instrument name to show that option).

Henrik Ekblom - User Experience Designer
    Toontrack

• This post was modified 5 years ago by Henrik.
    Nip
    Participant

Thank you.

I am not using any midi inside SD, just in daw. So hope I can just do it there.

And for the record, I remembered wrong, I was reading edrum engine manual and found just about nothing about choke – your manual is just fine, once getting a pdf from it.

I will experiment and use one pad for chokes with note length – and hope I can do that on a single note/instrument and not the entire SD preset where all notes are set to be 0.3ms gate. Possibly need to map to unique cymbal unless you can duplicate entry that longer note means it is to be choked when note-off(or velocity zero note-on).

Grambo413
    Participant

So is it possible to edit the cymbal mute tail to “ring” longer? I need the cymbal mute tail to sound less abrupt, while still maintaining that “grabbed” sound.

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

The mute tail is a sample. If you want a longer ring, use the envelope and trigger the release. You can set the release time to a choke more suitable for your needs.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

Rolomoto
    Participant

thanks for all the help!

Superior Drummer 3.1.7 EZBass 1.0.5
    macOS Mojave 10.14.5
    Logic 10.5.1

Benjamin_33
    Participant

Can you control this stuff in ezdrummer 2?

Bear-Faced Cow
    Participant

No you cannot. EZ Drummer is more for mix ready kits with low footprint where Superior Drummer is more for shaping the raw recorded samples.

jord

Jordan L. Chilcott

Web Site: https://jordanchilcottmusic.com/

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.