Yamaha DTX562 – Toontrack Solo

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Drayk
    Participant

I play the DTX562 kit as well with the 502 module. I purchased EZdrummer 2 and cannot get it working. I’ve spent hours and hours messing around with it. I’ve bugged the heck out of people picking their brain and just can’t get it working. I’ve purchased a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 as my audio interface, a new computer, not to mention all the brain damage. Tech support is virtually non-existent. I’m hoping to get some assistance from Toontrack and post a favorable response. We’ll see. Good luck

lchalk
    Participant

What problem are you having? I have Ezdrummer 2 and superior drummer 2 and I am using an expanded DTX582 (it started it’s life as a DTX522 but kept replacing/adding stuff till I maxed out the brain) with 5 toms and 3 extra cymbals. I have the extra zones in the crash (edge and bell) mapped to other cymbals. My preferred setup it through reaper and I have a midi map plugin to change the mapping. I just plug the 502 directly in to the computer. I have a scarlet 2i2 that I use for output (and input for my guitar ). I don’t really do anything with the brain anymore, I can do everything I need on the computer.

lchalk
    Participant

Sorry, I Accidently double posted and can’t delete

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    What problem are you having? I have Ezdrummer 2 and superior drummer 2 and I am using an expanded DTX582 (it started it’s life as a DTX522 but kept replacing/adding stuff till I maxed out the brain) with 5 toms and 3 extra cymbals. I have the extra zones in the crash (edge and bell) mapped to other cymbals. My preferred setup it through reaper and I have a midi map plugin to change the mapping. I just plug the 502 directly in to the computer. I have a scarlet 2i2 that I use for output (and input for my guitar ). I don’t really do anything with the brain anymore, I can do everything I need on the computer.  

I think the issue is my entire set-up. I have a Lenovo Yoga 720. I plug the 502 module into a USB 3 port and EZD2 sounds really muddy. I learned that a digital interface needs to be used, so I purchased a PreSonus AudioBox USB 96 and plug it into a USB-C port on the opposite side of the computer. From the AudioBox I plug in headphones and Line out (R/L) to PA/speakers. I’m pretty much midi mapping “illiterate” so, is there hope? lol. Any advice or input is greatly appreciated

lchalk
    Participant

How does ez drummer sound just playing the built in midi? Make that work first, then work on the triggers. If your sound is muddy, it probably has nothing to do with the e-drums. The basic Yamaha setting in ez drummer should work fine, I didn’t really start running into problems until I added the 4 additional pads. Also what does you memory and cpu usage look like, make sure the computer itself is not the issue (if it is see what else is running)

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    How does ez drummer sound just playing the built in midi? Make that work first, then work on the triggers. If your sound is muddy, it probably has nothing to do with the e-drums. The basic Yamaha setting in ez drummer should work fine, I didn’t really start running into problems until I added the 4 additional pads. Also what does you memory and cpu usage look like, make sure the computer itself is not the issue (if it is see what else is running)  

I’m not entirely sure what you mean by “built in midi”. I’ll definitely be adding more pads, but I want to get EZD dialed in 1st. When I just run a printer cable from the module to my comp with EZD, the sound is ok hitting one pad individually, but sounds really muffled or muddy when I play the kit as a whole. I always close everything on the computer so CPU usage is relative low & shouldn’t be an issue.
    Thanks again for your help!

lchalk
    Participant

go to the search tab and pick any pattern and click play. that should make ez drummer play midi, it that does not sound good there is a problem before the e-drums

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    go to the search tab and pick any pattern and click play. that should make ez drummer play midi, it that does not sound good there is a problem before the e-drums  

Awesome. I’ll try that right now!!!

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:

I’m feeling pretty inept here. I went to the search tab, but I’m not sure what you mean by “pick a pattern” and “click play”. I’ve been playing drums for about 47yrs but I’ve never messed around with this level of electronics. It’s kicking my azz. I to the point of bailing on the whole idea of using ezd and just settle with the 502 sounds and manipulating them with an iPad.

lchalk
    Participant

Defiantly don’t do that. Trust me it will be worth it. Sorry, my fault I have been using ez drummer for a while and it is just second nature now. It is not the play button at the bottom of the screen. on the search tab you will see a list of patterns, just click on any one of them and you will see the play button right next to the favorite icon (the star) with the name on the other side. It is there to let you sample what each pattern sounds like.

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    Defiantly don’t do that. Trust me it will be worth it. Sorry, my fault I have been using ez drummer for a while and it is just second nature now. It is not the play button at the bottom of the screen. on the search tab you will see a list of patterns, just click on any one of them and you will see the play button right next to the favorite icon (the star) with the name on the other side. It is there to let you sample what each pattern sounds like.  

Are these the patterns you mention? (hopefully the attachment displays) When a “wave” is highlighted and the star is checked, what does that do? Is this program not a stand alone drum voice program? I’m obviously a lot more electronic illiterate than I thought! Thanks so much for you help, man!!!

lchalk
    Participant

they are midi not wav, all your e-drums are doing when connected to ez drummer is sending midi messages (so that muddy sound you were talking about can’t be coming from your e-drums). The star is a favorite, you can click all your favorites and then filter to just your favorites. The search is pretty neat and the song creator is awesome. I have a lot of kits (about 20 ezx) so I have a lot of midi and filtering is a must to find stuff. You can also click the show web shop midi button at the top and sample all the midi available for purchase.

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    they are midi not wav, all your e-drums are doing when connected to ez drummer is sending midi messages (so that muddy sound you were talking about can’t be coming from your e-drums). The star is a favorite, you can click all your favorites and then filter to just your favorites. The search is pretty neat and the song creator is awesome. I have a lot of kits (about 20 ezx) so I have a lot of midi and filtering is a must to find stuff. You can also click the show web shop midi button at the top and sample all the midi available for purchase.  

Interesting. Did you take a collage course on this? lol
    So, you’re simply running a printer cable from the “host” port on the 502 module to your computer? And its a clear sound, better than the module sounds?
    I don’t get that result. When I just hook a printer cable from the module to my comp, keeping a beat is fine and the kick, hi-hat & snare sound fantastic. Probably as good as I’ve heard. Its when I travel on toms or even a small run, the toms sound muffled or muddy.
    For me, the module is more clear & crisp sounding. Individually, EZD2 sounds are superior to the 502 sounds, collectively they’re not as audible and crisp and clear as what the 502 produces. This “condition” or “effect” I’ve been told is elevated with a digital audio interface.
    Do I have this all wrong?
    you can chat me on google hangouts or email if you’d rather

lchalk
    Participant

Yup, just a usb cable from the 502 to the computer. Did you set you midi key map to the 502 preset menu (on the far right)->settings->e-drums and set the midi Mapping to yamaha ? but if you want to do google hang out we can do video and I can show you how it is setup and how it sounds

Drayk
    Participant

@lchalk said:
    Yup, just a usb cable from the 502 to the computer. Did you set you midi key map to the 502 preset menu (on the far right)->settings->e-drums and set the midi Mapping to yamaha ? but if you want to do google hang out we can do video and I can show you how it is setup and how it sounds  

Yep, the midi mapping is always set to Yamaha and for the midi device I chose everything that’s there: DTX and AudioBox

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.