[DESIGN] Piezo-Piezo to Piezo-Switch Adaptor (by Keith Raper)

E-drum Workshop
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • tazinnuedo
    Participant

does someone can tell me what is a schottky diode please???? is there a schematic about the new circuit with udpates? because i’m bad and i don’t understand where i have to insert a jumper…  ( the jumper is here to shorcut  one of the diodes???right???)

does the last photo represent the first schematic or the second???  i’m not sure but there there ‘s a lot af componant into the box and the second schematic no…

francois

PFozz
    Participant

Hey François,

The schottky diodes are labelled BAT46 on the schematic.
    The last photo is the built version of the 2nd schematic (PDF).

Best.

www.eareckon.com

tazinnuedo
    Participant

and the pdf schematic is an update of the first one posted on the thread…  is that right????  (two mono pad in a stereo input…)
    but, if i want to build a dual zone pad (for exemple tom’s input in a td10) i will have to start from the second schematic which is posted on the thread…and i don’t need to put some schottky diodes (just variable pot if i want)?? is that right???         (does the pot must be wired like in the pdf schematic???)

why in the first schematic it’s r2 which is changed to have less sensitivity and in the second  it’s r1 to adjust sensitivity?????

francois

PFozz
    Participant

I haven’t tried the second schematic yet. The first version works like a charm into my 3-zone hihat (I’m using the schematic with the yellow/grey drawn piezos), and it should work for your tom aswell.
    You may add a pot between the aux piezo (+) and R1 (instead of a pot before or after R2), if needed.

Best.

www.eareckon.com

tazinnuedo
    Participant

so what is writen below the schema (with drawn piezos) isn’t good (or incmplete if we can put a variable pot near  r1):

For less “rim/edge sensitivity”, reduce the R2 value but DON’T replace it with a wire (100K to 1M is alright).  

similar question but not about this design…   if i put a resistance between the main piezo and the module, on the tip wire… does my sensitivity decrease?????  (on my module for the snare, sensitivity is at 2 or 3 / 32 scales… so i don’t have possibilities to have some fine adjustments) 

PFozz
    Participant

I just edited my previous post (“around” was confusing and I replaced it by “before or after”) 😉

The comment about R2 isn’t wrong. Actually, you can reduce the “rim sensitivity” by decreasing the R2 value, but you must keep R2 above a minimum value. That’s why you may change R2 for a 100K resistor and add a pot before or after R2 but you can’t simply replace R2 by a pot. R2 won’t be less than 100k with a 1M pot and a 100k resistor in serial connection.

Adding a pot between the Aux Piezo (+) and R1 will have the same effect (it will reduce the “rim sensitivity”).

About the sensitivity of your main piezo… Yes, a pot between this piezo (+) and your module will reduce the sensitivity (and the tiny pot present on most Yamaha rubber pads provides this functionality, btw).

www.eareckon.com

tazinnuedo
    Participant

[happy mode mode on] [happy mode off]

do you an idea about the resistance value i can put for the main piezo???? (or the max to have no sound…) 100kO 1mO 100mO….????

and if i have unsterstood evrerything of the design… if i want less sensitivity for my aux piezo, r2 must be decreased (but with a min resistance  (100ko)    and if i want more sensitivity, r1  must be decreased…

PFozz
    Participant

1. I would try something between 10k and 100k (but that’s just a supposition).

2. I’m not sure about decreasing the R1 value…

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

I have a doubt. Does this adaptor work for splitting the piezo/switch Roland TD6 inputs (i mean tom1 and cymbals) so you can connect 2 mono pads in one input?
    Has anybody achieve that? In an spanish forum people tried your design but the told one pad had to be stroken very hard to get even a low low sound.
    Please, help!

PFozz
    Participant

The first schematic does what you described (2 mono pads into 1 piezo/switch input).

Though, I’ve built the piezo/piezo to piezo/switch adaptor only (2nd schematic). This one provides a way to plug a dual piezo/piezo trigger into a piezo/switch input (for example, a dual mesh head pad into a TD8 tom input) … and it works perfect for me 🙂

Best.

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

Does anybody know which of the 3 circuit designs (1st schematic, 2nd schematic, boxed PDF schematic) is better? Pros and contras?

The 2nd schematic does NOT work with Roland TD6 module. You have to hit the rim pad too strong and the sound is soft 🙁

Maybe the 3rd schematic??

Does anybody have proved them with roland?

Where did you find info of how are the signals for the Yamaha triggers?
    Can I find info of the signals for roland pads?

:'(

I need help!!

PFozz
    Participant

Please tell us what you want to get.
    Do you want to plug a dual mesh head pad into a piezo/switch input or would you like to plug 2 mono pads into such an input ?

Best.

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

Hi again. What I want to do is conect two mono pads to one Roland TD6 input (for tom1 and crashes inputs, because tom2 and tom3 are able to do that without strange circuits)

I have tested connecting two PD-8 with all of your 3 circuits but none of them work. Circuit 2 (piezo/piezo to piezo/switch) divides but the sensitivity of the pad on the rim connector is awful, you have to strike it with a hammer to be able to hear something, nearly I can hear nothing. And circuit 1 and 3 (they are similar) replicate head sound in both pads so it does not divide.

I have been testing voltage coming from the PD-8 pad when I hit it on rim and head.
    When I hit head, the tip and the ring give up to 30 mV. When I hit rim, the tip gives from 3mV to 5mV (less range) and ring gives from 0 to -2mV.

I don’t know what to do. I’m getting mad with all my failed attempts.

Maybe someone has achieved to connect 2 mono pads to roland dual inputs, please help me!

PFozz
    Participant

Circuits 1/3 are what you need.
    It seems the “rim detection” part of your circuit isn’t sensitive enough, though.
    You may try to reduce the R1 value (replace R1 by a pot to do it progressively).

Best.

www.eareckon.com

elrules
    Participant

circuit 1 and 3 (they are similar) replicate head sound in both pads so it does not divide

The circuit 2 is the one which does not give enough sensitivity. I have tried circuit 3, which has a pot in R1, none of the values in its range makes it better, the signal replicates in both pads. I mean, when I hit the pad connected to rim I get exactly the same sensitivity that with the head pad, but also the same sound, although I configured two different sounds for head/rim.

Maybe you could explain me how the circuit 3 works, saying what is the function of each component, and what is their goal. Maybe that way I can change their values so I can adapt the circuit to a Roland input, because it seems that it is designed for Yamaha inputs.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

Please log in to read and reply to this topic.

No products in the cart.